of December 23, 1997 No. 776/97-BP
About the Representative of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine for human rights
Parliamentary control of observance of constitutional rights and freedoms of man and citizen and protection of the rights of everyone in the territory of Ukraine and within its jurisdiction on permanent basis are performed by the Representative of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine for the rights of people (further - the Representative) who in the activities is guided by the Constitution of Ukraine, the laws of Ukraine existing with international treaties which consent to be bound is this the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine.
Scope of the Law are the relations arising in case of realization of rights and freedoms of man and citizen between the citizen of Ukraine irrespective of the place of its stay, the foreigner or the stateless person who are in the territory of Ukraine, and public authorities, local government bodies both their official and officials.
Operation of this Law also extends to the relations arising between legal entities of public and private law, and also the physical persons which are in the territory of Ukraine in the cases provided by the separate law.
The purpose of parliamentary control which is exercised by the Representative is:
1) protection of the rights and freedoms of man and citizen proclaimed the Constitution of Ukraine, the laws of Ukraine and international treaties of Ukraine;
2) observance and respect of rights and freedoms of man and citizen by the subjects specified in article 2 of this Law;
3) prevention of violations of rights and freedoms of man and citizen or assistance to their recovery;
4) assistance to reduction of the legislation of Ukraine on rights and freedoms of man and citizen in compliance with the Constitution of Ukraine, international standards in this area;
5) improvement and further development of international cooperation in the field of protection of rights and freedoms of man and citizen;
6) prevention of any forms of discrimination on realization by the person of the rights and freedoms;
7) assistance of legal knowledge of the population and protection of confidential information on person.
The representative is official whose status is determined by the Constitution of Ukraine, it and other laws of Ukraine.
The representative performs the activities irrespective of other state bodies and officials. Activities of the Representative supplement the existing remedies of constitutional rights and freedoms of man and citizen, do not cancel them and do not attract review of competence of the state bodies providing protection and recovery of the violated rights and freedoms.
Powers of the Representative cannot be stopped or limited in case of the expiration of powers of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine or its dissolution (self-dissolution), introduction of warlike or emergency state in Ukraine or in its certain areas.
The representative has seal with the image of the small State Emblem of Ukraine and the name.
Disclaimer! This text was translated by AI translator and is not a valid juridical document. No warranty. No claim. More info
Database include more 50000 documents. You can find needed documents using search system. For effective work you can mix any on documents parameters: country, documents type, date range, teams or tags.
More about search system
If you cannot find the required document, or you do not know where to begin, go to Help section.
In this section, we’ve tried to describe in detail the features and capabilities of the system, as well as the most effective techniques for working with the database.
You also may open the section Frequently asked questions. This section provides answers to questions set by users.