The declaration on foreign policy of Turkmenistan in the 21st century based on permanent neutrality, the principles of peacefulness, neighborliness and democracy
Accepted by National council of Turkmenistan on December 27, 1999
We, members of National Council, the supreme representative body of public authority of Turkmenistan,
- following the fundamental and firm principles of national statehood of the Turkmen people, peace-loving foreign policy of neutral Turkmenistan at the heart of which the ideas and practical activities of the first President of Turkmenistan and the acknowledged leader of the nation Saparmurat Turkmenbasha are pledged;
- based on primordially Turkmen traditions of friendship and neighborliness, the world and justice, equality and philanthrophy, and also for the sake of further celebration of the ideas of democracy, humanity, respect of the human rights and freedoms reflected in the Constitution of Turkmenistan and in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights;
- expressing confidence in tomorrow of the people of Turkmenistan, in further strengthening and prosperity of the Turkmen state as integral and sovereign part of the world community of the nations;
- stating the importance of the place and role of neutral Turkmenistan in the course of the global changes happening on the dawn of the third millennium and the determining image influencing the prospects of development of the world community and the international relations;
- realizing the future challenges of the third millennium facing mankind and considering that in new historical conditions the international security becomes more and more indivisible and depends on combination of efforts and proportional responsibility of all states in process of its steady providing;
- aiming to make the contribution to approval in the 21st century of the principles of humanity and justice in the international relations, the nonviolent dispute resolution and the conflicts and recognizing the United Nations as the important and effective mechanism of peacekeeping and the international stability;
- relying on firm bases of the foreign policy following from the conventional status of Turkmenistan as constantly neutral state;
- expressing full support to political policy of the President of Turkmenistan Saparmurat Turkmenbasha within the country and on the international scene, provided harmonious transformation of the Turkmen society and oriented to the 21st century;
- proclaiming this Declaration, we declare as follows:
1. Having become the independent and sovereign state, Turkmenistan took the worthy place in Community of the nations, having proved correctness of own way of the development combining national originality and achievements of modern civilization elected by him in practice. For Turkmenistan which passed the period, small to historical measures, under the leadership of the President Saparmurat Turkmenbasha with honor passed difficult tests and affirmed as structure of the world community not only as the sovereign and secular state, but also having the conventional status of permanent neutrality.
On the example of foreign policy of Turkmenistan, developed and implementable under the leadership of the first President Saparmurat Turkmenbasha, the world community became the witness of emergence of qualitatively new model in practice of the international relations. Turkmenistan offered the world the concept of peaceful and stable co-existence and development in the difficult region of Central Asia.
The foreign policy of Turkmenistan is unanimously supported by the world community on behalf of the United Nations General Assembly which adopted on December 12, 1995 the special resolution "Permanent Neutrality of Turkmenistan". New counting of foreign policy formation and development of Turkmenistan begins with this significant date. Adoption of the special resolution of the United Nations General Assembly was recognition of the nations of peaceful foreign policy of Turkmenistan by Community, its constructive role in the international cases.
With approval of the status of permanent neutrality the strategic task of ensuring national interests of Turkmenistan as independent subject of the international relations is solved. Now the concept "neutrality" firmly entered our life. On December 12 it is declared in Turkmenistan by national holiday - Day of neutrality.
Remaining faithful to the proclaimed foreign policy and the international obligations following from its neutral status, independent Turkmenistan was not involved in one armed conflict, did not join one military, military-political alliance or the block, one international structure with the functions which are beyond humanitarian assistance.
2. We with conviction declare that the choice made from the first days of finding of independence was very timely and correct, and model of foreign policy development of Turkmenistan of the most optimum. Thereby the strategic task of ensuring national interests of Turkmenistan as independent subject of the international relations is solved. The foreign policy of neutrality based on strict and unconditional following to spirit and letter of the Constitution of the country, the Charter of the UN and to the undertaken international obligations the authority and trust among other states got to Turkmenistan, first of all, next, allowed to create favorable external conditions for internal stability and sustainable development.
The neutral model of Turkmenistan completely was repaid, and the main characteristics of the Turkmen neutrality and, first of all, from the point of view of its content passed test time, having provided the favorable international atmosphere for implementation of large-scale programs of internal development of Turkmenistan.
The neutrality was and will remain the invariable fundamental principle of foreign policy of Turkmenistan and its content, the base on which he intends to build the relations with all states and the international organizations next century.
3. The policy of permanent neutrality of Turkmenistan is beyond far one country. It became essential factor of ensuring regional stability and is directed to creation of conditions for peaceful dialogue and state cooperation. In a number of documents of the UN it is emphasized that the capital of Turkmenistan - Ashgabat - in practice became one of the centers of peacemaking, the venue of peace talks, large international forums. In it constructive line of the Turkmen neutrality which consists in its aiming at providing not only internal, but also external stability, readiness to promote any peacekeeping processes, dialogue for peace and harmony is shown.
4. Internal interests of the country, the solution of its social and economic tasks were and remain the main reference points of foreign policy of Turkmenistan. She shall be equitable to radical national interests, proceed from major and pressing problems of own people and, first of all, to tasks of preserving sovereignty and independence, ensuring processes of forming of statehood of Turkmenistan, protection of territorial integrity and creation of the conditions providing stability and irreversibility of political and economic reforms.
Disclaimer! This text was translated by AI translator and is not a valid juridical document. No warranty. No claim. More info
Database include more 50000 documents. You can find needed documents using search system. For effective work you can mix any on documents parameters: country, documents type, date range, teams or tags.
More about search system
If you cannot find the required document, or you do not know where to begin, go to Help section.
In this section, we’ve tried to describe in detail the features and capabilities of the system, as well as the most effective techniques for working with the database.
You also may open the section Frequently asked questions. This section provides answers to questions set by users.