of October 19, 2012 No. 344-IV
About guarantees of the voting rights of citizens of Turkmenistan
Free and fair elections and referenda are the highest form of manifestation of democracy and realization of the right of citizens of Turkmenistan to participation in administration of society and state.
This Law based on the Constitution of Turkmenistan and according to the universally recognized norms of international law establishes basic guarantees of the voting rights of citizens.
The voting right of citizens of Turkmenistan - the right of participation in elections and referenda provided by the Constitution and the laws of Turkmenistan.
1. Realization of the voting right is provided by means of carrying out free and fair elections and referenda on broad democratic basis.
2. Elections to public authorities and local self-government are obligatory and are carried out to the terms established by the Constitution of Turkmenistan and the laws on elections.
3. The state guarantees periodic elections to public authorities and local self-government on the basis of free declaration of will of citizens with compliance with law of Turkmenistan and the universally recognized norms of international law.
Elections and referenda in Turkmenistan are performed on the principles:
1) general, equal, direct suffrage;
2) secret vote;
3) free and voluntary participation of citizens of Turkmenistan in elections and referenda;
4) equal promotion of candidates by political parties, public associations, groups of citizens and providing equal opportunities for them;
5) publicity and openness, knowledge of voters and freedom of propaganda in case of elections and referenda;
6) protection of the voting rights of citizens of Turkmenistan.
Guarantees of the voting rights of citizens of Turkmenistan are the organizational, legal and other measures established by the legislation of Turkmenistan providing to citizens realization of their participation right in elections and referenda.
The system of guarantees of the voting rights of citizens is constituted by legislative, legal, economic, organizational, information guarantees.
The voting rights of citizens of Turkmenistan are affirmed and are guaranteed by the Constitution of Turkmenistan, this Law and other regulatory legal acts of Turkmenistan determining legal status of participants of the electoral process, referendum and governing the relations on the organization, preparation and elections and referenda in Turkmenistan.
Legal guarantees of the voting rights of citizens are established by the Constitution and the laws of Turkmenistan, the universally recognized norms of international law of measure for ensuring freedom of declaration of will of citizens, protection of their voting rights, including judicial protection, security of person of candidates for elected bodies which are aimed at providing conditions for effective participation of citizens in elections and referenda.
1. The state guarantees provision of equal economic and financial opportunities for participation of citizens in elections and referenda by means of implementation of the expenses connected with their preparation and carrying out at the expense of means of the Government budget of Turkmenistan.
2. And according to the procedure, established by the legislation of Turkmenistan, the privileges and compensations connected with implementation by them of the rights and powers are guaranteed to participants of the electoral process and referendum on the bases.
Organizational guarantees consist in implementation by state bodies, political parties, public associations, groups of citizens of measures by training and to ensuring activities of constituencies and sites, sites of referendum, the electoral commissions, commissions on holding referenda, creation of electoral registers, promotion of candidates, registration of candidates, observers, authorized representatives of candidates, representatives of mass media, carrying out election propaganda, the organization of vote and summing up vote, and also other actions connected with the organization of elections and referenda.
1. The electoral process and referendum are performed on the basis of publicity and wide knowledge of citizens.
2. Information support of elections and referenda includes informing the voters, participants of referendum and carrying out election propaganda promoting conscious declaration of will of citizens, publicity of elections and referenda.
3. Publicity and openness of the electoral process and referenda are provided with participation of national observers, observers of foreign states and the international organizations, representatives of mass media of Turkmenistan and foreign states.
4. The right and distribution of information on questions of preparation and elections and referenda is guaranteed to citizens of Turkmenistan.
For this purpose the electoral commissions, the commissions on holding referenda, state bodies, political parties and public associations, citizens have the right to use mass media and other public methods of finishing information.
Turkmenistan, being full subject of the world community, under the organization and elections and referenda adheres to the universally recognized norms of international law.
1. This Law becomes effective from the date of its official publication.
2. Recognize invalid:
2) the Law of Turkmenistan "About modification and amendments in the Law of Turkmenistan "About guarantees of the voting rights of citizens of Turkmenistan", adopted on September 10, 2004 (Sheets of Majlis of Turkmenistan, 2004, No. 3, the Art. 23).
President of Turkmenistan
Disclaimer! This text was translated by AI translator and is not a valid juridical document. No warranty. No claim. More info
Database include more 50000 documents. You can find needed documents using search system. For effective work you can mix any on documents parameters: country, documents type, date range, teams or tags.
More about search system
If you cannot find the required document, or you do not know where to begin, go to Help section.
In this section, we’ve tried to describe in detail the features and capabilities of the system, as well as the most effective techniques for working with the database.
You also may open the section Frequently asked questions. This section provides answers to questions set by users.