of July 3, 2012 No. 5029-VI
About the principles of the state language policy
According to provisions of the Constitution of Ukraine, the Declaration of the rights of nationalities, the Law of Ukraine "About ratification of the European charter of regional languages or languages of minorities", etc.,
considering that free use of languages in private and public life according to the principles proclaimed in the International covenant of the United Nations on the civil and political rights, and spirit of the Convention of the Council of Europe on protection of the rights and fundamental human freedoms is the inalienable right of each person;
providing importance to strengthening of the status state - Ukrainian as one of the most important factors of national identity of the Ukrainian people, guarantee of its national state sovereignty;
proceeding from the fact that only free development and equality of all national languages, the high language culture is basis of spiritual mutual understanding, cultural mutual enrichment and consolidation of society
this Law determines the principles of the state language policy in Ukraine.
1. The terms used in this Law are used in such value:
state language - the language fixed by the legislation which use is obligatory in state bodies and clerical works, organizations and the organizations, at the companies, in the state institutions of education, science, culture, in spheres of communication and informatics, etc.;
language group - the group of persons living in Ukraine which has the common native language;
linguistic minority - the group of persons living in Ukraine which has the common native language different from state language and which on the number is less, than other population of the state;
regional language group - the group of persons living in certain region (settlement) which has the common native language;
the region - separate arbitrary administrative and territorial unit which can consist of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea, area, the area, the city, the settlement, the village;
regional language or language of minority - language which is traditionally used within certain territory of the state by the citizens of this state constituting group which on the number is less than other population of this state and/or differs from official language (languages) of this state;
the territory in which regional language is widespread - the territory of one or several administrative and territorial units of Ukraine (The Autonomous Republic of Crimea, area, the area, the city, the settlement, the village) where regional language is the communication medium of certain number of persons that justifies implementation of the different security and incentive measures provided in this Law;
the native language - the first language which person mastered in the early childhood;
languages of ethnic minorities - language of minority which is united by general ethnic origin.
The state language policy in Ukraine has the task regulation of the public relations in the sphere of all-round development and use of Ukrainian as state, regional languages or languages of minorities and other languages which the country population in the state, economic, political and public life, interpersonal and international communication, protection of constitutional rights of citizens in this sphere, education of respect for national advantage of the person, to its language and culture, strengthening of unity of the Ukrainian society uses.
1. Everyone has the right to freely determine language which considers to the family, and to choose communication language, and also to recognize itself(himself) bilingual or multilingual and to change the language tastes.
2. Everyone irrespective of ethnic origin, national and cultural self-identification, the residence, religious beliefs has the right to freely use any language in public and private life, to study and support any language.
1. The legislation of Ukraine on languages consists of the Constitution of Ukraine, the Declaration of the rights of nationalities of Ukraine, this Law, the laws of Ukraine "About ratification of the European charter of regional languages or languages of minorities", "About ethnic minorities", "About ratification of the Framework convention of the Council of Europe on protection of ethnic minorities" and the other laws of Ukraine, and also international treaties regulating questions of use of languages which consent to be bound is provided by the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine.
Fundamentals of the state language policy are determined by the Constitution of Ukraine, and procedure for application of languages in Ukraine - this Law which of regulations the other legal acts determining features of use of languages in different areas of public life shall proceed.
2. If the existing international treaty of Ukraine which consent to be bound is provided by the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine establishes other rules than provided in the legislation of Ukraine on languages, then regulations which contain more advantages concerning human rights are applied.
1. The state language policy of Ukraine is based on recognition and all-round development of Ukrainian as state and guaranteeing free development of regional languages or languages of minorities, other languages, and also the right of language self-determination and language tastes of each person.
2. When implementing the state language policy Ukraine adheres to such purposes and the principles:
1) recognition of all languages which are traditionally used within the state or its certain territory, national property, non-admission of privileges or restrictions on language signs;
Disclaimer! This text was translated by AI translator and is not a valid juridical document. No warranty. No claim. More info
Database include more 50000 documents. You can find needed documents using search system. For effective work you can mix any on documents parameters: country, documents type, date range, teams or tags.
More about search system
If you cannot find the required document, or you do not know where to begin, go to Help section.
In this section, we’ve tried to describe in detail the features and capabilities of the system, as well as the most effective techniques for working with the database.
You also may open the section Frequently asked questions. This section provides answers to questions set by users.