of June 5, 2012 No. 50-FZ
On regulation of activities of the Russian citizens and Russian legal entities in Antarctic
Accepted by the State Duma on May 18, 2012
Approved by the Federation Council on May 30, 2012
For the purposes of this Federal Law the following basic concepts are used:
1) Antarctic - the area to the south of the sixtieth parallel of southern latitude, including all ice shelf;
2) Antarctic Treaty - The Antarctic Treaty signed in the city of Washington on December 1, 1959;
3) system of the Antarctic Treaty - The Antarctic Treaty, the Protocol on environmental protection to the Antarctic Treaty signed in the city of Madrid on October 4, 1991, the Convention on preserving seals of Antarctic signed in the city of London on June 1, 1972, the Convention on preserving marine living resources of Antarctic signed in the city of Canberra on May 20, 1980, and also recommendations, measures and decisions of advisory meetings on the Antarctic Treaty and measures for preserving taken by the Commission on preserving marine living resources of Antarctic created according to the Convention on preserving marine living resources of Antarctic;
4) activities in Antarctic - any activities performed by the Russian citizens, the Russian legal entities in Antarctic and regulated by international treaties of the Russian Federation, this Federal Law, other Federal Laws and other regulatory legal acts of the Russian Federation;
5) the operator - the Russian citizen or the Russian legal entity organizing and performing activities in Antarctic including with participation of foreign citizens, and (or) foreign legal entities, and (or) stateless persons, based on the operating authority in Antarctic (the state operator, the non-state operator);
6) the state operator - the operator appointed by the Government of the Russian Federation for the organization and implementation of activities in Antarctic for the benefit of the Russian Federation including for the purpose of accomplishment of the international obligations of the Russian Federation;
7) the non-state operator - the operator organizing and performing activities in Antarctic in initiative procedure;
8) the operating authority in Antarctic (further also - permission) - the document issued by the authorized Government of the Russian Federation federal executive body and establishing requirements and conditions according to which activities of the operator in Antarctic can be performed;
9) the observer - the official to who the solution of the federal executive body authorized by the Government of the Russian Federation assigns functions on conducting national inspection;
10) emergency ecological situation - incident which makes any considerable and harmful impact on the environment of Antarctic or creates inevitable threat of such impact;
11) response actions - reasonable (reasonable, almost feasible, pro rata) measures which shall be undertaken or made after emergence of emergency ecological situation for the purpose of prevention, minimization or restriction of scale of impact of this emergency ecological situation and which for this purpose can include cleaning of the territory of Antarctic in the corresponding circumstances, and also determination of scale of this emergency ecological situation and its impact;
12) national inspection - action for identification of violations of the requirements and conditions established by the operating authority in Antarctic.
1. The relations arising when implementing activities in Antarctic by the Russian citizens and the Russian legal entities are regulated according to the Constitution of the Russian Federation and the conventional principles and rules of international law international treaties of the Russian Federation and the Federal Laws and other regulatory legal acts of the Russian Federation adopted according to them.
2. The relations specified regarding 1 this Article and not settled by international treaties of the Russian Federation are regulated by this Federal Law, other Federal Laws and other regulatory legal acts of the Russian Federation.
3. The decisions of interstate bodies made based on provisions of international treaties of the Russian Federation in their interpretation contradicting the Constitution of the Russian Federation are not subject to execution in the Russian Federation. Such contradiction can be established according to the procedure, determined by the Federal constitutional Law.
Activities in Antarctic are performed according to the following principles:
1) use of Antarctic only in the peace purposes;
2) mutually beneficial international cooperation in Antarctic;
3) freedom of scientific research in Antarctic;
4) environmental protection of Antarctic, and also the depending on it and related ecological systems.
State regulation of activities in Antarctic includes:
1) determination and realization of the main directions of development of activities in Antarctic;
2) appointment of the state operators and ensuring their activities;
3) the organization and conducting inspections in Antarctic, including inspections of the stations located in Antarctic, installations and the equipment, and also ocean ships and aircrafts in unloading points and cargo loading or personnel in Antarctic according to the article VII of the Antarctic Treaty;
4) regulation of activities in Antarctic operators and conducting national inspection;
5) establishment of requirements to safety of activities in Antarctic, and also to financial provision of safety of such activities;
6) establishment of responsibility of the Russian citizens and Russian legal entities for violation of this Federal Law, other Federal Laws and other regulatory legal acts of the Russian Federation governing the relations arising when implementing of activities by them in Antarctic.
1. Determination of the main directions of development of activities in Antarctic for the benefit of the Russian Federation and activities of the federal executive bodies authorized on ensuring participation of the Russian Federation in activities of bodies and the organizations of system of the Antarctic Treaty is performed by the Government of the Russian Federation.
2. Development of activities in Antarctic for the benefit of the Russian Federation is provided by the federal executive bodies authorized by the Government of the Russian Federation, and also the state operators.
Disclaimer! This text was translated by AI translator and is not a valid juridical document. No warranty. No claim. More info
Database include more 50000 documents. You can find needed documents using search system. For effective work you can mix any on documents parameters: country, documents type, date range, teams or tags.
More about search system
If you cannot find the required document, or you do not know where to begin, go to Help section.
In this section, we’ve tried to describe in detail the features and capabilities of the system, as well as the most effective techniques for working with the database.
You also may open the section Frequently asked questions. This section provides answers to questions set by users.