The convention on the simplified procedure for acquisition of nationality by citizens of the State Parties of the Commonwealth of Independent States
of January 19, 1996
The State Parties of the Commonwealth of Independent States, the hereinafter referred to as Contracting Parties,
proceeding from aspiration of the people to preserving and consolidation of historical traditionally friendly links and the relations of neighborliness,
developing cooperation among themselves for the purpose of maintenance of the civil world and interethnic concord,
confirming commitment to obligations concerning providing human rights and freedoms according to the commonly accepted international standards,
wishing to provide favorable conditions for realization by the citizens on the basis of free declaration of will of option and acquisition of nationality of any of Contracting Parties,
being guided by the Charter of the Commonwealth of Independent States,
aiming to enhance cooperation mechanisms in the Commonwealth and to increase their efficiency,
agreed as follows:
Each Contracting Party will provide to the citizens leaving on permanent residence on the territory of any of Contracting Parties, the simplified (registration) procedure for getting out of nationality and also will provide to the citizens of any of Contracting Parties arriving to permanent residence on its territory the right to acquire her nationality in the simplified (registration) procedure in the presence of one of the following conditions:
a) if the applicant in the past consisted in nationality of one of Contracting Parties and at the same time in citizenship of the USSR, lived in their territories for December 21, 1991 and lives constantly before entry into force of this Convention;
b) in the presence at the applicant of the close relative is the spouse (spouses), one of parents (adoptive parents), the child (including adopted), sisters, the brother, the grandfather or the grandmother, the granddaughter or the grandson - constantly living in the territory of the Contracting Party we acquire oho nationality and being her citizen.
2. The procedure specified in Item 1 of this Article extends to citizens of each of the Contracting Parties which are constantly living in the territory of any of Contracting Parties irrespective of accommodation term in the territory of the Contracting Party of acquired nationality.
Acquisition of nationality and getting out of nationality according to this Convention is made on the basis of free declaration of will of citizens of Contracting Parties.
For acquisition of nationality and getting out of nationality in the simplified (registration) procedure according to this Convention the citizen of any of Contracting Parties represents the following documents to relevant organs of the Contracting Party of acquired nationality:
statement for acquisition of nationality and getting out of nationality,
copy of the certificate of birth or other identity document and birthplace of the citizen,
the document confirming availability of one of the conditions provided in Item 1 of Article 1.
Authorities of Contracting Parties perform registration of acquisition of nationality and getting out of nationality of Contracting Parties in the simplified procedure no more than 3 months with observance of the requirements provided by the domestic legislation of Contracting Parties in time.
Person which submitted the petition for acquisition of nationality of any of Contracting Parties keeps former nationality before adoption of the positive decision according to its petition.
Authorities of the Contracting Party which granted citizenship send national passports of persons who obtained citizenship with application of a copy of the statement for acquisition of nationality and getting out of nationality to diplomatic or consular establishment of the Contracting Party of former nationality for the subsequent registration of getting out of nationality.
1. In case of change of nationality of parents owing to which both become citizens of one of Contracting Parties or both leave nationality of one of Contracting Parties, nationality of their minor children changes respectively.
2. Nationality of minor children, one of parents of which is citizen of one of Contracting Parties, and other parent acquires nationality any other of Contracting Parties, is determined by the agreement of parents which shall be expressed in the application submitted according to Article 2.
3. Children whose parents live separately keep nationality of the parent on which education they are if other agreement between parents about it did not take place.
4. In case of different nationality of parents the nationality of children established earlier of age of majority on reaching them can be changed according to the legislation of Contracting Parties in the simplified procedure.
5. Nationality of children does not change in case of change of nationality of the parents deprived of the parent rights. On change of nationality of children the consent of the parents deprived of the parent rights is not required.
Each of Contracting Parties reserves the right to refuse to person petitioning for acquisition of nationality and for getting out of nationality provision of the simplified (registration) procedure for acquisition of nationality and getting out of nationality in the cases provided by its domestic legislation.
The decision of competent authority of any of Contracting Parties on refusal in acquisition and getting out of nationality in the simplified (registration) procedure can be appealed in court of the corresponding Contracting Party in a month.
The questions which are not mentioned in this Convention are solved Contracting Parties according to the domestic legislation of Contracting Parties.
If the domestic legislation of Contracting Parties identifies for any category persons more preferential terms of acquisition of nationality, then in this case the domestic legislation of Contracting Parties is applied.
Contracting parties will take measures to rapprochement of their legislation on nationality.
The questions connected with interpretation or application of this Convention are solved by consultations and negotiations between Contracting Parties.
This Convention does not affect situations of other international treaties which participants are Contracting Parties.
1. This Convention is subject to ratification by the states which signed it. Instruments of ratification are checked to the Executive Secretariat of the Commonwealth of Independent States which performs functions of depositary of this Convention.
Disclaimer! This text was translated by AI translator and is not a valid juridical document. No warranty. No claim. More info
Database include more 50000 documents. You can find needed documents using search system. For effective work you can mix any on documents parameters: country, documents type, date range, teams or tags.
More about search system
If you cannot find the required document, or you do not know where to begin, go to Help section.
In this section, we’ve tried to describe in detail the features and capabilities of the system, as well as the most effective techniques for working with the database.
You also may open the section Frequently asked questions. This section provides answers to questions set by users.