The convention on providing the rights of persons belonging to ethnic minorities
of October 21, 1994
The State Parties of this Convention which are referred to as далееДоговаривающиеся the Party
considering that development and strengthening of the relations of friendship, neighborliness and cooperation between them are equitable to radical interests of their people and serve cause of peace and safety,
confirming the commitment to democracy, freedom and justice,
confirming also the commitment to observance of international standards in the field of the human rights affirmed, in particular, in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, the Declaration on the rights of persons belonging to national or ethnic, to religious and linguistic minorities, the International convention about fight against all forms of racial discrimination, the Convention on the prevention of crime of genocide and punishment for it, the Convention on the Rights of the Child and other fundamental human rights documents
considering the obligations following from the Helsinki Final act of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe, the Madrid, Vienna and Helsinki resulting documents, documents of the Copenhagen and Moscow meetings on human measurement of CSCE, the document of the Krakow symposium on cultural heritage, and also the Parisian charter for new Europe
recognizing their of the fact that the rights of persons belonging to ethnic minorities are integral part of the conventional human rights,
in view of that in the territory of each Contracting Party persons who belong to ethnic minorities live,
recognizing that the mentioned minorities are integral part of society in which they lived and live, and enrich it with the work, originality and culture,
considering that encouragement and protection of the rights of persons belonging to ethnic minorities promotes political and social stability of the states in which they live,
and also recognizing necessary to take proper measures for providing the rights of ethnic minorities and to create for this purpose the corresponding mechanisms of cooperation, including within bilateral agreements,
agreed as follows:
For the purposes of this Convention persons belonging to ethnic minorities are understood as the persons who are constantly living in the territory of one Contracting Party and having her nationality which on the ethnic origin, language, culture, religion or traditions differ from the main population of this Contracting Party.
Contracting parties confirm that belonging to ethnic minority is question of the individual choice of the interested person, and guarantee that such choice will not entail any adverse effects for the mentioned person.
1. Each of Contracting Parties guarantees to persons, belonging to ethnic minorities, civil, political, social, economic, cultural laws and freedoms according to the conventional international standards in the field of human rights and its legislation.
2. Each of Contracting Parties will take measures for non-admission in the territory of any discrimination of citizens on the basis of their belonging to ethnic minority.
3. Contracting parties confirm that the respect of the rights of persons belonging to ethnic minorities implies accomplishment by these persons of the obligations in relation to the state in the territory of which they live.
1. Each of Contracting Parties recognizes behind persons, belonging to ethnic minorities, is right individually or together with members of the group freely to express, keep and develop the ethnic, language, cultural or religious originality.
2. Contracting parties shall consider legitimate interests of ethnic minorities in the policy and take necessary measures for the purpose of creating favorable conditions for preserving and development of their ethnic, language, cultural and religious originality. Such measures will serve interests of all society and shall not lead to infringement of the rights of other citizens of Contracting Parties.
1. Each of Contracting Parties shall provide to persons belonging to ethnic minorities, the participation right in public and state life, especially in the solution of the questions concerning protection of their interests at the regional level.
2. Each of Contracting Parties recognizes behind persons belonging to ethnic minorities, the right to create according to the national legal system the different organizations (associations, associations, etc.) educational, cultural and religious nature for the purpose of preserving and development of their ethnic, language, cultural and religious originality.
The mentioned organizations will have the same rights which are granted to other similar organizations, in particular in that, as for use of public buildings, broadcasting, television, seal, other mass media.
1. Each of Contracting Parties recognizes behind persons, belonging to ethnic minorities, the right to preserving and maintenance of bonds with citizens and the organizations of the states with which they are connected by general ethnic origin, culture, language or religious beliefs is right to keep in touch freely among themselves in the territory of the state of accommodation, and also. Such bonds and contacts shall not contradict the national legal system of Contracting Parties.
2. Contracting parties will encourage activities of the information cultural centers of other Contracting Parties in the territory.
1. Each of Contracting Parties recognizes behind persons, belonging to ethnic minorities, the right to use the names and surnames, including in official documents as it is accepted in their native language, and also freely to use the native language both in written, and in oral form, to have information access in this language, to distribute such information and to exchange it, including the right to create mass media in the native language.
2. Each of Contracting Parties according to the national legal system will create where it is possible and it is necessary, conditions for use of language of ethnic minorities in contacts with authorities.
Each of Contracting Parties recognizes behind persons belonging to ethnic minorities is right individually or together with members of the group to practise the religion and to make religious practices according to the religion, to contain cult buildings, to acquire and use the objects necessary for departure of cult, and also to conduct educational religious activities in the native language. Such activities shall not contradict the national legal system.
Disclaimer! This text was translated by AI translator and is not a valid juridical document. No warranty. No claim. More info
Database include more 50000 documents. You can find needed documents using search system. For effective work you can mix any on documents parameters: country, documents type, date range, teams or tags.
More about search system
If you cannot find the required document, or you do not know where to begin, go to Help section.
In this section, we’ve tried to describe in detail the features and capabilities of the system, as well as the most effective techniques for working with the database.
You also may open the section Frequently asked questions. This section provides answers to questions set by users.