Declaration on creation of Shanghai Cooperation Organization
of June 15, 2001
Heads of states of the Republic of Kazakhstan, People's Republic of China, Kyrgyz Republic, Russian Federation, Republic of Tajikistan and Republic of Uzbekistan,
highly appreciating positive role of "The Shanghai five" in five years of its existence in promotion and deepening of the relations of neighborliness, mutual trust and friendship between the State Parties, consolidation of safety and stability in the region, assistance to joint development,
unanimously including that creation and development of "The Shanghai five" met needs of mankind and historical tendency to the world and development in the conditions which developed after the end of "Cold War" realized the huge potential of neighborliness, unification and cooperation through mutual respect and mutual trust between the states belonging to different civilizations and being carriers of different cultural traditions
especially noting that the agreements on enforcement of trust signed in Shanghai and Moscow respectively in 1996 and 1997 by heads of the Republic of Kazakhstan, People's Republic of China, the Kyrgyz Republic, the Russian Federation and the Republic of Tajikistan in military area and about mutual reducing armed forces around border, and also the resulting documents signed during the meetings in Alma-Ata (1998), Bishkek (1999) and Dushanbe (2000) made important contribution to case of peacekeeping, safety and stability in the region and around the world, considerably enriched practice of modern diplomacy and regional cooperation, exerted wide and positive impact on the international community,
being firmly convinced that in the conditions of dynamic development of processes of political multipolarity, economic and information globalization in the 21st century transfer of the mechanism of "The Shanghai five" into higher level of cooperation will promote more effective joint use of the opening opportunities and opposition to new challenges and threats,
solemnly announce the following:
1. The Republic of Kazakhstan, People's Republic of China, the Kyrgyz Republic, the Russian Federation, the Republic of Tajikistan and the Republic of Uzbekistan create Shanghai Cooperation Organization.
2. The purposes of Shanghai Cooperation Organization are: strengthening between the State Parties of mutual trust, friendship and neighborliness; encouragement of effective cooperation between them in political, trade and economic, scientific and technical, cultural, educational, energy, transport, ecological and other areas; common efforts on maintenance and providing the world, safety and stability in the region, to creation of new democratic, fair and rational political and economic international procedure.
3. Within Shanghai Cooperation Organization serially in each of its State Parties annual formal meetings of heads of states and regular meetings of heads of governments of the State Parties are held. For the purpose of expansion and intensification of cooperation in all areas creation of new mechanisms, in addition to already operating mechanisms of meetings of heads of the relevant departments, and also forming of standing and temporary expert working groups for studying of plans and offers on further development of cooperation is as required possible.
4. The "Shanghai spirit" created in development of "The Shanghai five" which is characterized by mutual trust, mutual advantage, equality, mutual consultations, respect for variety of cultures, aspiration to joint development is the invaluable property which is saved up by the countries of the region for years of cooperation. It will be increased, becoming in new century regulation in the relations between the State Parties of Shanghai Cooperation Organization.
5. The State Parties of Shanghai Cooperation Organization firmly adhere to the purposes and the principles of Articles of organization of the United Nations, the principles of mutual respect of independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity, equality and mutual advantage, the solution of all questions by mutual consultations, non-interference to internal affairs, non-use of military force or threat of force, refusal of unilateral military superiority in adjacent areas.
6. Shanghai Cooperation Organization was created based on agreements on enforcement of trust in military area and about mutual reducing the armed forces around border signed respectively in Shanghai and Moscow in 1996 and 1997. Today the cooperation in its framework already covers political, trade and economic, cultural, scientific and technical and other spheres. The principles which found reflection in the above-stated agreements determine basis of relations between the State Parties of Shanghai Cooperation Organization.
7. Shanghai Cooperation Organization is not the union directed against other states and regions, adheres to the principle of openness. It expresses readiness to develop dialogue, contacts and cooperation in any forms with other states and the relevant international and regional organizations and on the basis of consensus to accept as new members of the state who divide the purposes and tasks of cooperation within the organization, the principles stated in Item 6, and also other provisions of this Declaration and which introduction can promote implementation of such cooperation.
8. Shanghai Cooperation Organization attaches priority significance to regional security and makes all necessary efforts for its providing. The State Parties will perform close interaction for the purpose of implementation of the Shanghai convention on fight against terrorism, separatism and extremism, including by organization of regional anti-terrorist structure of Shanghai Cooperation Organization with location in Bishkek. Besides, the relevant multilateral documents on cooperation in suppression of arms trafficking and drugs, illegal migration and other types of criminal activities will be developed.
9. Shanghai Cooperation Organization uses the huge potential and ample opportunities of mutually beneficial cooperation of the State Parties in trade and economic area, makes efforts for the purpose of assistance to further development of cooperation and diversification of its forms between the State Parties on bilateral and multilateral basis. For this purpose within Shanghai Cooperation Organization negotiation process concerning creating favorable conditions for trade and investments will be begun, the long-term Program of multilateral trade and economic cooperation is developed, and also the relevant documents are signed.
10. The State Parties of Shanghai Cooperation Organization strengthen the mechanism of consultations and coordinate actions on regional issues and the international perspective, give mutual support and set up close cooperation on the major international and regional issues, jointly promote consolidation of peace and stability in the region and around the world, proceeding from the fact that preserving global strategic balance and stability in present international situation is important especially.
11. For the purpose of coordination of cooperation and the organization of interaction of the competent ministries and departments of gosudarstvuchastnik of Shanghai Cooperation Organization Council of national coordinators of the State Parties of this organization is created.
Activities of the specified Council are determined by the Provisional regulations approved by Ministers of Foreign Affairs of the State Parties.
Disclaimer! This text was translated by AI translator and is not a valid juridical document. No warranty. No claim. More info
Database include more 40000 documents. You can find needed documents using search system. For effective work you can mix any on documents parameters: country, documents type, date range, teams or tags.
More about search system
If you cannot find the required document, or you do not know where to begin, go to Help section.
In this section, we’ve tried to describe in detail the features and capabilities of the system, as well as the most effective techniques for working with the database.
You also may open the section Frequently asked questions. This section provides answers to questions set by users.