Shanghai Convention on fight against terrorism, separatism and extremism
of June 15, 2001
The Republic of Kazakhstan, People's Republic of China, the Kyrgyz Republic, the Russian Federation, the Republic of Tajikistan and the Republic of Uzbekistan (further - the Parties),
being guided by the purposes and the principles of the Charter of the UN first of all concerning maintenance of international peace and safety, development between the states of friendship and cooperation;
realizing that terrorism, separatism and extremism pose threat to international peace and safety, development of friendship between the states, and also to implementation of basic rights and human freedoms;
recognizing that the specified phenomena seriously threaten territorial integrity and safety of the Parties, and also their political, economic and social stability;
being guided by the principles of the Almaty joint statement of July 3, 1998, the Bishkek declaration of August 25, 1999, the Dushanbe declaration of July 5, 2000 and the Declaration on creation of Shanghai Cooperation Organization of June 15, 2001;
being firmly convinced that terrorism, separatism and extremism as they are determined in this Convention, regardless of their motives, cannot be justified under no circumstances, and persons guilty of making of such acts shall be made responsible according to the law;
being convinced that common efforts of the Parties within this Convention are effective form of fight against terrorism, separatism and extremism,
agreed as follows:
1. For the purposes of this Convention the terms used in it mean:
a) any act recognized as crime in one of the agreements listed in Appendix to this Convention (daleeprilozheniye) and as it is determined in this agreement;
b) any other act directed to causing the death of any civilian or any other person who is not taking active part in military operations in situation of armed conflict or to cause it heavy bodily harm, and also to cause significant damage to any material object, instigation to it when the purpose of such act owing to its nature or context is in intimidating the population, to break public safety or to force authorities or the international organization to make any action or to refrain from its making, and pursued in criminal procedure according to the national legal system of the Parties is equal as the organization, planning of such act, complicity to its making;
2) "separatism" - any act directed to violation of territorial integrity of the state, including on department of part of its territory from it, or disintegration of the state, made in the violent way, and is equal planning and preparation of such act, complicity to its making, instigation to it, and pursued in criminal procedure according to the national legal system of the Parties;
3) "extremism" - any act directed to the forcible seizure of power or violent deduction of the power, and also to violent change of the constitutional system of the state, and equally violent infringement of public safety, including the organization in the above-stated purposes of illegal armed groups or participation in them, and pursued in criminal procedure according to the national legal system of the Parties.
2. This Article does not cause damage to any international treaty or any national legal system of the Parties which contain or may contain regulations on broader application of the terms used in this Article.
1. The parties according to this Convention, other international obligations, and also taking into account their national legal system perform cooperation in the field of the prevention, identification and suppression of the acts specified in Item 1 of article 1 of this Convention.
2. In the relations among themselves the Parties consider the acts specified in Item 1 of article 1 of this Convention as extraditable offenses.
3. During implementation of this Convention in the questions connected with issue and rendering legal assistance on criminal cases, the Parties perform cooperation according to international treaties which participants they are, and taking into account the national legal system of the Parties.
The parties take such measures which can be necessary, including in appropriate cases in the field of the national legal system, for providing that the acts specified in Item 1 of article 1 of this Convention under no circumstances were not subject to justification for reasons of exclusively political, philosophical, ideological, racial, ethnic, religious or other similar nature and attracted punishment in compliance with degree of their weight.
1. Within 60 days after the notification of depositary on accomplishment of the interstate procedures necessary for the introduction of this Convention in force, the Party provides to depositary through diplomatic channels in writing the list of the central competent authorities, actionees of this Convention which the depositary forwards to other Parties.
2. The central competent authorities of the Parties on the questions connected with accomplishment of provisions of this Convention communicate and interact among themselves directly.
3. In case of modification of the list of the central competent authorities of any Party she informs on it depositary which brings this information to other Parties.
The parties by mutual consent can hold consultations, exchange opinions, approve line items concerning fight against the acts specified in Item 1 of article 1 of this Convention, including in the international organizations and at the international forums.
The central competent authorities of the Parties according to this Convention perform cooperation and render each other assistance in the way:
1) exchange of information;
2) accomplishment of requests about conducting investigation and search operations;
3) developments and acceptances of agreed measures for the prevention, identification and suppression of the acts specified in Item 1 of article 1 of this Convention, and mutually notification on results of their implementation;
4) taking measures to the prevention, identification and suppression in the territory of the state of the acts specified in Item 1 of article 1 of this Convention, directed against other Parties;
5) taking measures to the prevention, identification and suppression of financing, deliveries of arms and ammunition, rendering other assistance to any persons and (or) the organizations for making of the acts specified in Item 1 of article 1 of this Convention;
6) taking measures to the prevention, identification, suppression, prohibition and the termination of activities for training of persons for making of the acts specified in Item 1 of article 1 of this Convention;
Disclaimer! This text was translated by AI translator and is not a valid juridical document. No warranty. No claim. More info
Database include more 40000 documents. You can find needed documents using search system. For effective work you can mix any on documents parameters: country, documents type, date range, teams or tags.
More about search system
If you cannot find the required document, or you do not know where to begin, go to Help section.
In this section, we’ve tried to describe in detail the features and capabilities of the system, as well as the most effective techniques for working with the database.
You also may open the section Frequently asked questions. This section provides answers to questions set by users.