of July 30, 2002 No. ZR-401
About service in police
Accepted by National Assembly of the Republic of Armenia on July 3, 2002
This Law regulates the basic principles of service in the state body representing the single system performing functions of police (further - police), procedure for revenues to service and conditions of service in the polices connected with service of the right, obligation, the responsibility, legal and social guarantees of employees, police positions and ranks, other main relations connected with service.
1. The service in police is special type of public service which features are determined by this Law.
Proceeding from features of separate services and positions in police on civil service in police in the procedure established by this Law citizens of the Republic of Armenia can arrive.
The special civil service is type of public service.
The special civil service irrespective of change of ratio of political forces is the professional activity directed to implementation of the separate functions allocated for police by the legislation of the Republic of Armenia.
2. The service in police is performed by means of one-man management and centralized management with respect for the principles of legality, respect of the rights and freedoms, honor and advantage of man and citizen, principles of humanity and publicity.
The service in police will be organized also by the principle of rotation of employees of police. Rotation is transfer of employees of police into equivalent positions with frequency of times in three years.
The list of employees of police, rotation subjects, and procedure of rotation are established by the decision of the Government of the Republic of Armenia.
3. The service in police is regulated by the Constitution of the Republic of Armenia, this Law, the Law of the Republic of Armenia "About police", the Law of the Republic of Armenia "About bases of administration and administrative production", other laws and legal acts, international treaties of the Republic of Armenia.
In polices, that is those service duties, non-execution or improper execution of which can result rules of office discipline in disciplinary responsibility, are established by the normative order of the chief of police and other regulatory legal acts.
4. Military accounting of employees in police is performed by police according to the procedure, established by the Government of the Republic of Armenia.
1. The citizen of the Republic of Armenia who serves in police is considered the employee of police, took the oath of the employee of police, holds position of any group, the stipulated in Clause 4 presents of the Law, and has police or military rank or in the procedure established by this Law consists in reserve of personnel or the operating reserve of personnel of police.
Also the citizens of the Republic of Armenia who are trained within the state order in educational institutions of Police of the Republic of Armenia, and also trained within the state order in educational institution of the Republic of Armenia or foreign states in the direction of Police of the Republic of Armenia are considered as employees of police (further - the cadet).
The employee of police, except for the employee holding position of police of the highest group can be the citizen of other state at the same time.
2. The employee of police is government employee.
1) the highest positions of police:
- chief of police,
- Top military commander of police of the Republic of Armenia,
- deputy chief constable;
2) main positions of police:
- chief of head department, including Management of police of the city of Yerevan,
- deputy chief of head department,
- head of department, including chief of regional management,
- deputy head of department,
- head of department;
3) senior positions of police:
- assistant department head,
- chief of department;
4) average positions of police:
- deputy chief of department,
- the chief inspector on especially important issues, the senior operative on especially important issues,
- chief inspector, senior operative, senior patrolman,
- inspector, operative, patrolman;
5) positions of police of younger group:
- junior inspector, junior patrolman,
- senior police officer,
- police officer.
2. The nomenclature of the main positions entering into separate groups of positions of police, and also the positions equated to these positions is established by the Prime Minister.
3. Compliance between the main positions of military service in systems of republican executive bodies of defense, homeland security, police of the Republic of Armenia, the main positions of criminal and executive and rescue services establishes the Government.
1. Police ranks are subdivided into the following groups:
1) the highest police ranks:
- police colonel general,
- police lieutenant general,
- police major general;
2) main police ranks:
- police lieutenant colonel;
3) senior rank of police:
- police lieutenant colonel;
3. 1) average positions of police:
- police major,
- police captain,
- senior police lieutenant,
- police lieutenant,
4) younger police ranks:
- senior corporal of police,
- corporal of police,
- police sergeant major,
- police staff sergeant,
- police sergeant,
- police lance sergeant.
2. The highest ranks of police are highest military ranks which according to the proposal of the Prime Minister are given by the President of the republic.
3. The main, senior and average police ranks are given by the chief of police, and younger ranks - or the official having competence to carry out by the order as the pupil to appoint the employee to the corresponding police position.
4. The police ranks are given in consecutive procedure according to the police rank provided on post, after fixed term - in 15-day time, except as specified, provided by this Law.
To the cadets, graduateds in a military academy, doctoral candidates sent on training in full-time in educational institutions of the Republic of Armenia or foreign states, the ranks are given according to positions which they held before training.
4.1. The employee of police sent to other state bodies or in the procedure established by international treaties in the international organizations, the ranks are given according to positions which they held prior to business trip. To the employee of police sent to the police (military) organizations to higher position, the next rank is given according to the position held in this organization.
5. The police ranks are given in individual procedure, for life.
6. The words "in resignation" are added to rank of the employee who stopped service in police.
7. The employee of police, and also persons provided by part six of this Article in case of their condemnation for making of heavy or especially serious crime can be deprived of rank according to the procedure, established by the law.
8. In case of release from service in police on the basis, stipulated in Item 11.3 parts 1 of article 45 of this Law, the order on assignment to persons of rank it is declared invalid.
1. The Prime Minister addresses with the offer on assignment of the highest ranks of police on own initiative or based on the petition of the chief of Police.
2. The proposal of the Prime Minister is submitted in writing and includes name, surname, middle name of person provided to assignment of rank, data on labor activity and rank.
3. The draft of the presidential decree of the republic about assignment of the highest rank of police, and in case of the petition of the chief of Police - also the petition which includes information established by part 2 of this Article is attached to the proposal of the Prime Minister.
4. The president of the republic in three-day time after receipt of the proposal of the Prime Minister signs the draft of the decree attached to the offer or returns it to the Prime Minister with objections.
5. If the Prime Minister in five-day time does not accept objection of the President of the republic, then the President of the republic in three-day time after the expiration of five-day term signs the decree or appeals to the Constitutional court.
6. If the Constitutional court makes the decision on recognition of the offer provided by the Prime Minister to the President of the republic corresponding to the Constitution, then the President of the republic in three-day time signs the decree.
7. If the Constitutional court makes the decision on recognition of the offer provided by the Prime Minister to the President of the republic contradicting the Constitution, then the Prime Minister submits the new offer within five-day term according to the procedure, established by part 2 of this Article.
8. If the President of the republic does not fulfill the requirements established by parts 4-6 of this Article, then according to article 139 of the Constitution, the highest rank of police is considered appropriated to this person owing to the right from the date of following the expiration of the three-day term established by parts 4-6 of this Article about what the Prime Minister distributes the written announcement. The written announcement is signed by the Prime Minister and published on the official site of the Government.
1. Upper limit of the police ranks corresponding to the highest police positions is the police colonel general's rank.
2. Voided according to the Law of the Republic of Armenia of 18.12.2004 No. ZR-131.
3. Upper limit of the ranks of police corresponding to average positions of police is the police major's rank.
4. Upper limit of the police ranks corresponding to younger police positions is the rank of the senior corporal of police.
5. The rank corresponding to specific position of police is established by the Government of the Republic of Armenia.
6. For chiefs of the head departments established by structure of police, the chiefs holding the positions equated to them, persons holding positions of average group of Central office the rank one step higher than the maximum rank established for this position can be established.
1. For police ranks the following terms of period of service in police ranks are established:
1) younger police ranks:
- the police lance sergeant - 1 year,
- the police sergeant - 2 years,
- the police staff sergeant - 3 years,
- the police sergeant major - 3 years,
- the corporal of police - 4 years.
The term of period of service in rank of the senior corporal of police is not established;
2) senior police ranks:
- the police lieutenant - 2 years,
- the senior police lieutenant - 3 years,
- the police captain - 3 years;
2. 1) senior rank of police:
- the police lieutenant colonel – 5 years;
3) main rank of police:
- police colonel.
The term of period of service in ranks of the police colonel and in the highest police ranks is not established.
The procedure for assignment of police ranks is established by the Government of the Republic of Armenia.
2. In case of position assignment in police of the Republic of Armenia to the citizens who served (working) in police or other state body or having special rank or the class rank of prosecutor's office the police rank according to its military or special rank, either the class rank of prosecutor's office or rank in inventory is given.
Compliance to ranks of police of the military ranks appropriated in armed forces, bodies of homeland security, ranks of criminal and executive service, the Service providing forced execution, cool ranks of the Ministry of Justice, class ranks of prosecutor's office, and also ranks of inventory is established by the Government of the Republic of Armenia.
2.1. Compliance of class ranks of civil servants to ranks of police, and also procedure and conditions of their assignment are established by the Government of the Republic of Armenia.
2.2. The class rank of special civil service, provided for position of special civil service is appropriated to the employee of police in case of appointment to the positions provided by part 2 of article 60.1 of this Law. If the rank of the employee of police is higher than the class rank corresponding to position of special civil service, then the maximum class rank provided for this position of special civil service is appropriated.
To the civil servant in case of position assignment, the stipulated in Article 4 presents of the Law, the rank of police according to the class rank of special civil service, but no more than maximum rank provided for this position is given. If the civil servant had higher rank of police, then in case of position assignment, the stipulated in Article 4 presents of the Law earlier, it remains.
3. Assignment of the next rank to the employee of police having authority punishment, being under criminal prosecution, office investigation or in case of acceptance in its relation of the decision, stipulated in Item 5 parts eleven of article 15 of this Law, is postponed until elimination of the specified obstacles.
Disclaimer! This text was translated by AI translator and is not a valid juridical document. No warranty. No claim. More info
Database include more 50000 documents. You can find needed documents using search system. For effective work you can mix any on documents parameters: country, documents type, date range, teams or tags.
More about search system
If you cannot find the required document, or you do not know where to begin, go to Help section.
In this section, we’ve tried to describe in detail the features and capabilities of the system, as well as the most effective techniques for working with the database.
You also may open the section Frequently asked questions. This section provides answers to questions set by users.