of December 26, 2002 No. ZR-474
About reproductive health and reproductive rights of the person
Accepted by National Assembly of the Republic of Armenia on December 11, 2002
This Law governs the relations connected with procedure and conditions of ensuring protection of reproductive health and the reproductive rights of the person, use of technologies in the sphere of reproductibility, and also other relations connected with this sphere according to the Constitution of the Republic of Armenia, the laws, international treaties of the Republic of Armenia.
In this Law the following basic concepts are used:
1) reproductive health - the condition of complete physical, intellectual and social wellbeing connected with reproductive system, its functions and vital processes;
2) abortion (abortion) - medical intervention which is made for the purpose of termination of pregnancy;
3) voluntary medical sterilization - surgical intervention which is applied as method of permanent contraception and is made only by the principle of voluntariness on the basis of the informed consent of individual (spouses);
4) auxiliary reproductive technologies - medical technologies which are applied for the purpose of the problem resolution of infertility;
5) artificial insemination - introduction of men's seed (sperm) in the woman's organism in the artificial way;
6) artificial (out of body / extracorporal) fertilization and implantation of embryo - connection by artificial method of kernels of spermatozoon and ovum out of the woman's organism formed extracorporal development as a result of embryo (donor embryo) and its implantation in cavity of uterus or uterine tube;
7) teenagers - the medicobiological (physiological) concept which includes age group of persons from 10 to 18 years and characterizes transition period from the childhood to complete age of majority;
8) substitute mother - the woman bearing the donor embryo born from which the child in the uterus is not the carrier of its genotype;
9) donor embryo - the embryo formed as a result of merge of gametes of the biological parent (parents) and (or) the donor who shall bear or is already born by substitute mother or the spouse;
10) the reproductive (gamete) donor (further - the donor) the man providing the seed, capable to fertilization, or the woman providing the ovum, capable to fertilization;
11) the biological parent - the man or the woman from gametes of which or which created embryo and which carrier of genotype or which his or her future child is;
12) contraception – the prevention of undesirable pregnancy using different means and (or) methods;
13) infertility – lack of pregnancy of the woman in case of regular sex life of couple and (or) non-use of contraceptives within one year, except as specified, caused by breastfeeding or menopause;
14) the relative – person who is in the natural cognation relations 1, of 2, 3 degrees;
15) the database of donors and (or) substitute mothers, stipulated in Item 13 parts 1 of article 2 of the Law of the Republic of Armenia "About medical care and servicing of the population" which contains information on persons who showed willingness to act as donors and (or) substitute mothers subjected to medico-genetic inspections in accordance with the established procedure and who do not have the contraindications to donorship and (or) surrogacy which handed over gametes.
This Law extends to the citizens of the Republic of Armenia living or being in Armenia the foreign citizens and persons which do not have nationality and is applied to legal entities whose activities in the Republic of Armenia are connected with reproductibility of the person.
1. According to the Constitution, the laws of the Republic of Armenia, international treaties of the Republic of Armenia each person has the following vital sexual and reproductive rights:
1) independently to dispose of the sex and reproductive life if it does not threaten health of other persons;
2) to establish family, to independently determine the number of the children and time of their birth and to have for this purpose possibility of use of reliable and effective services of regulation of child-bearing;
3) to be protected from all forms of pressure, including sexual exploitation and violence, forced pregnancy, abortions, sterilization and other violations of the reproductive rights;
4) to obtain reliable and complete information concerning sexual and reproductive health, including about benefits, efficiency and possible dangers of means and methods of regulation of child-bearing;
5) to get medical advice and services in questions of sexual and reproductive health in the conditions of closeness and confidentiality;
6) to use high-quality medico-preventive services and to be protected from the means posing threat for health including from application of scientific experiences;
7) to make own decisions in case of the medical interventions connected with sexual and reproductive health, except for situations, the life-endangering and requiring urgent intervention, and provided by the law other cases;
8) to use new reproductive technologies, inclusive, safe and effective remedies and (or) by methods of regulation of fertilization, and also the auxiliary reproductive technologies applied to treatment of infertility.
The procedure for medical care and servicing using auxiliary reproductive technologies free of charge or on favorable terms and requirements imposed to applicants establishes the Government of the Republic of Armenia.
Everyone has the sexual and other reproductive rights of vital need established by this Law and other laws.
2. For the purpose of protection of public safety, health and customs of society, the rights of other persons the human rights connected with reproductibility can be limited in the cases and procedure established by this Law and other laws.
1. Teenagers have the right:
1) on sex education, and also on protection of sexual and reproductive health;
2) to be informed concerning puberty, sexual and reproductive health, to have necessary knowledge of abortion, of sexually transmitted diseases, including of modern prophylactics of the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV);
To receive 3) in the conditions of benevolence and confidentiality available and full medical consultation, and in case of need also medical care on the questions connected with puberty, sexual and reproductive health.
2. Sex education of teenagers at comprehensive schools and other educational institutions is performed by persons having special preparation in case of close cooperation with family, health services, public organizations, the public.
Disclaimer! This text was translated by AI translator and is not a valid juridical document. No warranty. No claim. More info
Database include more 50000 documents. You can find needed documents using search system. For effective work you can mix any on documents parameters: country, documents type, date range, teams or tags.
More about search system
If you cannot find the required document, or you do not know where to begin, go to Help section.
In this section, we’ve tried to describe in detail the features and capabilities of the system, as well as the most effective techniques for working with the database.
You also may open the section Frequently asked questions. This section provides answers to questions set by users.