of June 24, 2004 No. 9
About court practice on cases on indemnification, caused by vehicles
Having discussed practice of application by courts of the legislation by hearing of cases on indemnification caused by vehicles, the Plenum of the Supreme Court of the Republic of Belarus
1. Draw the attention of courts that the relation on indemnification caused by vehicles are regulated by the Civil code of the Republic of Belarus, the Presidential decree of the Republic of Belarus of August 25, 2006 No. 530 "About insurance activity", Chapter 13 of the Regulations on insurance activity approved by this Decree in the Republic of Belarus *, the Charter of the Belarusian bureau on transportation insurance approved by the Presidential decree of the Republic of Belarus of December 1, 1999 No. 701, and also other regulatory legal acts.
* Further - the Provision.
Rules of international treaties of the Republic of Belarus, in particular Art. 45 of the Convention on legal assistance and legal relations on civil, family and criminal cases of October 7, 2002 (it is concluded in Chisinau, became effective on April 27, 2004), and also the Agreement on compulsory insurance of passengers are applied to the relations on indemnification with participation of foreign citizens and legal entities in case of the international motor transportations of January 13, 1999.
2. Courts should mean that rules about payment of insurance indemnity extend to the relations on indemnification, caused by vehicles, arisen since July 1, 1999 (from the moment of introduction of this type of insurance). If the fact of causing such harm took place till July 1, 1999, then harm is compensated according to provisions of Chapter 58 of the Civil Code, at the same time in case of damnification of life and to health of the citizen rules of Art. 1149 of Final provisions of group of companies are considered.
3. Explain to courts that owing to obligatory civil liability insurance of owners of vehicles the harm done to life or health of physical persons, their property or property of legal entities as a result of the road accidents is compensated by the insurer in the form of insurance indemnity. In case of absence at the causer of harm of the agreement of obligatory civil liability insurance of owners of vehicles, damnification by the vehicle which left possession of the owner without his fault and also in other cases which are directly provided in the Charter of the Belarusian bureau on transportation insurance, calculations with the victim are perfromed by the Belarusian bureau on transportation insurance.
In case of presentation of the claim for compensation of the harm received owing to the road accident directly to his causer or the legal owner of the vehicle the court needs to find out availability of the agreement of compulsory insurance concerning the vehicle of the causer of harm and depending on established to discuss question of participation in case in quality of the defendant of the insurer who signed such agreement or the Belarusian bureau on transportation insurance.
4. Draw the attention of courts that the compulsory provision of the insurer liability under the agreement of obligatory civil liability insurance of owners of vehicles is the loss occurrence which admits the fact of damnification of life, to health and (or) property of the victim as a result of the road accident.
If the damnification fact owing to item 158 of the Provision does not belong to insured event, then the victim has the right to require indemnification based on the general rules established by group of companies.
5. Courts should mean that for the purposes of obligatory civil liability insurance of owners of vehicles the concept of the vehicle is this in item 149 of the Provision.
When harm is done because of the driver of other vehicle (for example, the animal-drawn vehicle, the bicycle) or the mechanism which is not relating to vehicles (agricultural harvesters, mowers, etc.) which civil responsibility of the owner is not subject to compulsory insurance it is compensated by the general rules established by group of companies.
Disclaimer! This text was translated by AI translator and is not a valid juridical document. No warranty. No claim. More info
Database include more 38000 documents. You can find needed documents using search system. For effective work you can mix any on documents parameters: country, documents type, date range, teams or tags.
If you cannot find the required document, or you do not know where to begin, go to Help section.
In this section, we’ve tried to describe in detail the features and capabilities of the system, as well as the most effective techniques for working with the database.
You also may open the section Frequently asked questions. This section provides answers to questions set by users.