of December 17, 1998 No. 191-FZ
About exclusive economic zone of the Russian Federation
Accepted by the State Duma on November 18, 1998
Approved by the Federation Council on December 2, 1998
This Federal Law determines the status of exclusive economic zone of the Russian Federation, the sovereign rights and jurisdiction of the Russian Federation in its exclusive economic zone and their implementation according to the Constitution of the Russian Federation, the conventional principles and rules of international law and international treaties of the Russian Federation. The questions relating to exclusive economic zone of the Russian Federation and activities in it, which are not provided by this Federal Law are regulated by other Federal Laws applicable to exclusive economic zone of the Russian Federation and activities in it.
1. Exclusive economic zone of the Russian Federation (further also - exclusive economic zone) - the sea area which is outside the territorial sea of the Russian Federation (further - the territorial sea) and adjacent to it, with the particular legal regime established by this Federal Law, international treaties of the Russian Federation and rules of international law.
Determination of exclusive economic zone is applied also to all islands of the Russian Federation, except for rocks which are not suitable for maintenance of human life or for implementation of independent economic activity.
2. Internal border of exclusive economic zone is the external border of the territorial sea.
3. The external border of exclusive economic zone is at distance of 200 nautical miles from initial lines from which width of the territorial sea is measured if other is not provided by international treaties of the Russian Federation.
Delimitation of exclusive economic zone between the Russian Federation and the states which coasts protivolezhat to the coast of the Russian Federation or are adjacent to the coast of the Russian Federation is performed according to international treaties of the Russian Federation or the conventional principles and rules of international law.
1. Lines of external borders of exclusive economic zone or replacing them approved by the Government of the Russian Federation lists of geographical coordinates of points with indication of basic geodetic data and the delimitation lines defined by international treaties of the Russian Federation or on the basis of the conventional principles and rules of international law are specified on cards of the established scale and are published in "Notifications to seafarers".
2. Forming of databank about external border of exclusive economic zone is performed by the federal executive body which is specially authorized on that by the Government of the Russian Federation.
1. For the purpose of this Federal Law the following basic concepts are applied:
natural resources of exclusive economic zone - the water biological resources and lifeless resources which are in the waters covering seabed on seabed and in its subsoil;
water biological resources (live resources) of exclusive economic zone (further - water bioresources) - the fishes, water invertebrates, water mammals, seaweed, other water animals and plants which are in condition of natural freedom, except for live organisms of "sedentary types" of seabed and its subsoil which use is regulated by the Federal Law of November 30, 1995 N187-FZ "About the Continental Shelf of the Russian Federation";
lifeless resources of exclusive economic zone (further also - lifeless resources) - mineral resources of the waters covering seabed including the chemical elements and their connections, energy of inflows, currents and wind, other possible types of lifeless resources containing in sea water;
sea scientific research in exclusive economic zone (further - sea scientific research) - the basic or applied researches and experimental works which are carried out for these researches directed to knowledge acquisition on all aspects of the natural processes happening on seabed and in its subsoil, in water thickness and the atmosphere;
sea resource researches in exclusive economic zone (further - sea resource researches) - the applied research works directed to investigation, development and preserving natural resources of exclusive economic zone;
hazardous substance - substance which in case of hit to the marine environment is capable to create health hazard of people, to cause environmental damage, including to the marine environment and natural resources of exclusive economic zone, to worsen conditions of rest or to prevent other types of lawful use of the sea, and also the substance which is subject to control according to international treaties of the Russian Federation;
dumping of the hazardous substances or drains containing such substances (further - dumping of hazardous substances), - any dumping from courts and other watercrafts (further - vessels), aircraft, artificial islands, installations and constructions, by whatever reasons it was caused, including any leakage, removal, flood, leakage, pumping, allocation or emptying; dumping of hazardous substances does not include the emission of hazardous substances happening directly owing to investigation, development and the related processing to the sea of mineral resources of the continental shelf of the Russian Federation, and also dumping of hazardous substances for carrying out lawful scientific research for the purpose of pollution abatement or control over it;
marine pollution - introduction by the person directly or indirectly substances or energy to the marine environment which brings or can lead to such detrimental consequences as harming water bioresources and life to the sea, creation of health hazard of the person, creation of hindrances for activities at the sea, including for fishery and other lawful types of use of the sea, decline in quality of the used sea water and deterioration in conditions of rest;
Disclaimer! This text was translated by AI translator and is not a valid juridical document. No warranty. No claim. More info
Database include more 50000 documents. You can find needed documents using search system. For effective work you can mix any on documents parameters: country, documents type, date range, teams or tags.
More about search system
If you cannot find the required document, or you do not know where to begin, go to Help section.
In this section, we’ve tried to describe in detail the features and capabilities of the system, as well as the most effective techniques for working with the database.
You also may open the section Frequently asked questions. This section provides answers to questions set by users.