of December 16, 2020 No. 234
About functioning of languages in the territory of the Republic of Moldova
The parliament adopts this organic law.
Art. 1. - (1) the Status of state language is fixed in the Republic of Moldova by the Constitution of the Republic of Moldova and is designed to strengthen sovereignty of the country and to create necessary guarantees for its full and comprehensive application in all spheres of political, economic, social and cultural life.
(2) the Republic of Moldova guarantees to all citizens studying of state language.
(3) Studying and knowledge of state language of the Republic of Moldova, at least at the level of communication, are moral obligation of all citizens of the country.
(4) the State provides program implementation of free studying of state language, especially in places of compact accommodation of ethnic minorities.
(5) This law is based on the following principles:
a) application of article 13 of the Constitution of the Republic of Moldova concerning languages and the language rights of citizens;
b) use of languages is the basic rights guaranteed by the Constitution and international agreements which party is the Republic of Moldova;
c) language discrimination is forbidden;
d) the state respects the right of citizens to free use and development of languages and guarantees protection against violation of this right by the third parties;
e) the state recognizes and guarantees according to this law language availability of all services and processes connected with ensuring fundamental human rights and also all information on them.
Art. 2. - (1) the Republic of Moldova provides necessary conditions for use and development of Russian as language of international communication in the territory of the country.
(2) Russian as language of international communication is used in the territory of the Republic of Moldova along with state language.
Art. 3. - (1) For the purpose of protection and ensuring development of Gagauz the Republic of Moldova creates necessary conditions for consecutive expansion of its social functions.
(2) In ATO Gagauzia official language in various spheres of life is state, Gagauz or Russian.
Art. 4. - (1) the State guarantees protection of the right to development of education and cultures in the native language to the citizens living in the territory of the Republic of Moldova.
(2) the Republic of Moldova guarantees protection of languages of the ethnic minorities and ethnic groups living in the territory of the country.
(3) For the purpose of development of multinational culture the Republic of Moldova guarantees functioning and protection of languages of the ethnic groups living in the territory of the country.
(4) the State creates necessary conditions for studying and use in the territory of the Republic of Moldova of languages of the international communication.
Art. 5. - This law does not regulate use of languages in the sphere of private life.
Art. 6. - In the relations with bodies of the public power, bodies of public management and public organizations, and also with the companies and the organizations located in the territory of the Republic of Moldova, language of the oral and written address is the state language or language of international communication - at the choice of the citizen. In ATO Gagauzia is guaranteed the right of the citizen to use in the specified relations and Gagauz. In areas where the majority makes the population of the Ukrainian, Russian, Bulgarian or other nationality, for communication other language, state, native or acceptable for the majority of the population, is used.
Art. 7. - (1) the Clerical work in public authorities and bodies of public management is conducted in state language, and the translation into Russian on demand is provided.
(2) In ATO Gagauzia the clerical work in public authorities and bodies of public management is conducted in state language, and on demand - on Gagauz or Russian.
(3) During the holding various actions and record keeping in public authorities and bodies of public management in regions where the compact majority of the population talks in the Ukrainian, Russian, Bulgarian or any other language, the state language is used, and on demand - language of international communication or language, acceptable for the majority of the population of other territory.
Art. 8. - Official acts of public authorities and bodies of public management are constituted and accepted in state language with the subsequent translation into Russian, and in ATO Gagauzia are translated also into Gagauz.
Art. 9. - (Public authorities, bodies of public management, public organizations, the companies and other organizations adopt 1) and consider the written or oral statements of citizens submitted on state or Russian, and in ATO Gagauzia - given on state, Gagauz or Russian.
(2) the Current forms and administrative texts are issued in state language, and at the request of the citizen - in Russian, and in ATO Gagauzia at the request of the citizen are issued also in Gagauz.
(Public authorities, bodies of public management, public organizations, the companies and other organizations accept 3) and consider the documents submitted by citizens on state or Russian, and in ATO Gagauzia accept and consider the documents submitted on state, Gagauz or Russian. The translation into state language shall be attached to the documents submitted in other languages.
(4) Heads of public institutions shall know state language.
Art. 10. - (1) Criminal prosecution and legal proceedings on criminal, civil cases and cases on offenses, and also in arbitration in the Republic of Moldova are performed in state language or in the language acceptable for most of persons participating in process. In case of disagreements in the choice of language of process that is conducted in state language.
(2) the right of acquaintance with case papers, participations in actions for criminal prosecution and judicial actions through the interpreter, and also the right of performance and evidence in the native language is provided to the Participants of process who are not knowing language in which criminal prosecution or legal proceedings is conducted.
(3) Documents on criminal prosecution and court documents are handed to the suspect, the person accused and the defendant of the translation into language which they know.
Disclaimer! This text was translated by AI translator and is not a valid juridical document. No warranty. No claim. More info
Database include more 50000 documents. You can find needed documents using search system. For effective work you can mix any on documents parameters: country, documents type, date range, teams or tags.
More about search system
If you cannot find the required document, or you do not know where to begin, go to Help section.
In this section, we’ve tried to describe in detail the features and capabilities of the system, as well as the most effective techniques for working with the database.
You also may open the section Frequently asked questions. This section provides answers to questions set by users.