of April 25, 2019 No. 2704-VIII
About ensuring functioning of Ukrainian as state
Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine,
based on the Declaration on the state sovereignty of Ukraine of July 16, 1990 and the Act of declaration of independence of Ukraine adopted by the All-Ukrainian referendum on December 1, 1991 of August 24, 1991 which recovered independent national statehood of Ukraine;
being guided by the Constitution of Ukraine which determines Ukrainian as the single state language in Ukraine and assigns obligation to the state to provide all-round development and functioning of Ukrainian in all spheres of public life in all territory of Ukraine;
being effective according to the Solution of the Constitutional Court of Ukraine of December 14, 1999 with No. 10-rp/99, by which it is determined that Ukrainian as state is the obligatory means of communication in all territory of Ukraine when implementing powers by public authorities and local government bodies (language of acts, works, clerical works, documentation and so forth), and also in other public spheres of public life which are determined by the law;
considering the Concept of the state language policy approved by the Presidential decree of Ukraine of February 15, 2010 No. 161/2010, which determines strategic priorities in overcoming the colonialists and invaders of deformations called by centuries-old assimilatory policy national language and cultural and language information space and according to which full functioning of Ukrainian in all spheres of public life in all territory of the state is guarantee of preserving identity of the Ukrainian nation and strengthening of the state unity of Ukraine;
realizing that Ukrainian is the determining factor and the main sign of identity of the Ukrainian nation which was historically created and through many centuries continuously lives in own ethnic territory, constitutes the vast majority of the population of the country and gave the official name to the state, and also is basic backbone component of the Ukrainian civil nation;
aiming at strengthening of the state and consolidation functions of Ukrainian, increase in its role in ensuring territorial integrity and homeland security of Ukraine;
aiming at creation of proper conditions for providing and protection of the language rights and needs of Ukrainians;
and also in view of the Conclusion of the European commission for democracy through the right according to which in the special conditions which developed in Ukraine, the balanced policy in the language sphere requires proper guarantees for preserving state language as the tool of unification of society, and the Recommendation of the European commission for democracy through the right to the Ukrainian legislature to find significantly more acceptable methods of confirmation to supremacy of Ukrainian as single state language and to take additional measures for strengthening of its role in the Ukrainian society,
adopts this Law.
1. The single state (official) language in Ukraine is Ukrainian.
2. The status of Ukrainian as single state language is caused by state-building self-determination of the Ukrainian nation.
3. The state status of Ukrainian is indivisible element of the constitutional system of Ukraine as unitary state.
4. The status of Ukrainian as single state language in Ukraine is determined only by the Constitution of Ukraine.
5. The procedure for functioning and application of state language is determined only by the law.
6. Deliberate distortion of Ukrainian in official documents and texts, in particular its deliberate application with violation of requirements of the Ukrainian spelling and standards of state language, and also creation of obstacles and restrictions in application of Ukrainian involve the responsibility established by the law.
7. The status of Ukrainian as single state language provides obligation of its use in all territory of Ukraine when implementing powers by public authorities and local government bodies, and also in other public spheres of public life which are determined by this Law.
8. Ukrainian as the single state language performs functions of language of interethnic communication, is guarantee of human rights protection for each Ukrainian citizen irrespective of its ethnic origin, and also is factor of unity and homeland security of Ukraine.
1. This Law regulates functioning and application of Ukrainian as state in the spheres of public life determined by this Law in all territory of Ukraine.
2. Operation of this Law does not extend to the sphere of private communication and making of religious practices.
3. The procedure for application of the Crimean Tatar language and other languages of indigenous people, ethnic minorities of Ukraine in the respective spheres of public life is determined by the law on procedure for realization of the rights of indigenous people, ethnic minorities of Ukraine taking into account the features determined by this Law.
Disclaimer! This text was translated by AI translator and is not a valid juridical document. No warranty. No claim. More info
Database include more 38000 documents. You can find needed documents using search system. For effective work you can mix any on documents parameters: country, documents type, date range, teams or tags.
If you cannot find the required document, or you do not know where to begin, go to Help section.
In this section, we’ve tried to describe in detail the features and capabilities of the system, as well as the most effective techniques for working with the database.
You also may open the section Frequently asked questions. This section provides answers to questions set by users.